Website The Orchard School
A Private Independent School Inspiring Children Ages 3 - Grade 8
The School Counselor/Psychologist provides support to students, parents and teachers for the academic, emotional, and social well-being of students in pre-school through grade eight. This includes proactive curricular work targeting predictable developmental needs of children in the school. In addition, expertise in emergency and crisis management with children in the flow of a school year is of utmost importance. The counselor/psychologist is a resource for teachers and parents to consult on learning issues and behaviors to help children with academic, emotional, and social success. Collaborating with teams of teachers, particularly the Elementary School/Early Childhood Coordinator of Student Services, and Learning Support faculty, about children is an important element of this position. The School Counselor/Psychologist also manages/coordinates Orchard’s annual standardized testing for grades four through eight. The ability to administer and interpret psychometric assessments, as well as acting as a liaison between outside therapists/psychologists and the school would be preferable.
The ideal candidate will possess a solid understanding of children’s academic, emotional, and social development at each grade level but will be anchored in the Middle School so experience with Middle School students is desirable.
Qualifications and Attributes
· Master’s degree or Licensure related to Counseling/Certified psychologist desired
· Experience administering and interpreting psychometric assessments is preferred
· Three years minimum of relevant experience
· Experience working with Middle School students
· Understanding of tenets of progressive education
· Capacity to strive for unity, harmony, and cooperation through respect, tact, helpfulness, and recognition of individual differences
· Ability to relate well to all constituencies in a school setting
· Highly effective crisis management skills
· Solution-focused, problem-solving counseling techniques
· Familiarity working with learning specialists
· Capacity to team-build
· Passion for the mission and the vision of The Orchard School
· Capacity to lead and inspire others
· Thoughtful judgment and effective interpersonal skills
· Excellent communication skills
· Ability to effectively present information to all constituencies of the school
· Healthy sense of humor
This position begins August 1, 2018. Interested and qualified candidates should apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place “COUNSELOR” in the subject line of your email.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com