Website The Little School
Where big futures begin
The mission of The Little School is to keep alive each child’s natural curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, to support balanced social and academic skill development, and to foster community minded, compassionate and intrinsically motivated students.
We imagine a world where education inspires children to develop a strong sense of self and the courage to become innovative and empathetic leaders.
The Little School has a part-time Music Specialist (0.4 FTE) teaching position open beginning in August of 2018. We are looking for an educator who is excited about working with small classes, enjoys combining movement and/or theater to teach creative expression, and can incorporate both choral and instrumental elements into instruction. The Little School has a long history of integrating music into the classrooms and this position includes opportunities to collaborate with classroom teachers around developmental and instructional themes. We have weekly Community Sings and music is a central component of school life. The Music position serves our elementary age students with a focus on music appreciation within a global context, musicianship, composition, instrumental skill development (ukuleles, xylophones and rhythm instruments) and performance. We want students to enjoy making music as individuals and a part of a group. The position is eligible to be combined with a part-time Teaching Assistant role (0.5 FTE) should the selected candidate desire more contact time with children, full-time employment and the option of benefits.
The Little School serves approximately 160 children, ages 3-11, on a 12-acre wooded campus in Bellevue, Washington. We aim to teach, nurture, and challenge every student by building deep understandings of children and their learning within social contexts. We hire teachers committed to collaborative teaching within a vibrant adult learning community.
· Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, Music, or related field and/or teaching certificate
· Elementary Education, Music teaching experience of 1 year or more
Candidates must also have the following professional and personal attributes and commitments:
· An excitement for teaching and learning alongside elementary-aged children
· An appreciation for the complexity and uniqueness of children’s developmental timetables
· A commitment to collaboration and building partnerships with children, colleagues and families
· A sense of humor and a love of the life of school
· The ability to work hard and have fun simultaneously
· Strong verbal, written, planning, organizational and relational skills
· Orientation as a learner with the ability to learn from direct and honest feedback
· Creativity, intellectual agility, initiative, and stamina
· A willingness to pitch in when/where needed
· Understanding of and commitment to progressive education ideals and practices, democratic values, equity, inclusion and social justice
Compensation includes a competitive salary and the chance to work with great kids and colleagues. Important resources to get to know The Little School include:
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. To be considered, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible:
· Letter of interest
· Three references
It is our strong desire to build a diverse community of students, families, and staff. The Little School does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity or family composition in the administration of its admissions, financial aid, hiring or any other school-administered program.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com