Website The Little School
Where big futures begin
The Board of Trustees for The Little School in Bellevue, Washington seeks an experienced leader with a strong vision for progressive education. Located on 12.5 wooded acres in a growing, international city, The Little School offers children ideal spaces for exploration, a dynamic teaching staff and a caring school community. It is a place where 150 children
are known deeply, play is encouraged and celebrated, and academic challenge exists throughout. Social and emotional learning is foundational from preschool through fifth grade, giving way to creativity, expression, problem-solving and complex thinking.
The next Head of School has the opportunity to shepherd the next phase of growth at The Little School with increasing enrollment, refurbished buildings and plans to completea new building that will expand teaching and activity space by nearly 15,000 square feet. The next leader will be charged with being a steward of the school’s rich store of natural resources and venerable history while embracing the school’s diverse families and potential for the future. Above all, the incoming Head of School will welcome the possibilities of a small school to make a big difference in the lives of young children and their families.
The successful candidate will…
• Have knowledge of and the capacity to communicate the virtues of a progressive, child-centered education featuring integrated, emergent and responsive pedagogies.
• Have demonstrated previous success in a leadership role as a head of school or at a director level.
• Understand, respect and support a diverse community as an essential component of a progressive educational environment.
• Have expert knowledge of cognitive development and educational needs of children ages 3-11.
• Have a record of success as a teacher of students ages 3-11.
• Have demonstrated the ability to achieve operational objectives in relation to strategic goals.
• Have the willingness and ability to play a leadership role in fundraising and community outreach.
• Be an efficient and supportive manager, with specific regard to business operations, marketing, enrollment management and capital financing.
• Be a confident decision maker and an articulate, strategic thinker.
• Have solid academic credentials, including an advanced degree.
• Be accessible to and have a natural affinity for children.
• Address challenges with an open mindset.
The new Head of School will have the opportunity to shape The Little School’s vision as it moves into its seventh decade:
1. Expand and modernize the progressive education program to enhance the school’s place as the model of preschool and elementary progressive education.
2. Continue the school’s work on equity, access and inclusivity in the classroom as well as outreach to more communities in the Seattle/Bellevue Metropolitan area.
3. Initiate and complete a community-wide strategic planning process with the help of a board strategic planning committee.
4. Continue to recruit, develop and retain exceptional faculty well aligned with programmatic objectives.
5. Oversee construction of the new building, site work and updates to the current buildings, according to the campus plan and transition school into new facilities.
6. Leverage the new building (construction begins in 2019) to recruit a student population of 200 by 2026.
7. Maximize the relationships with and the experience of TLS alumni to support the school and strengthen the TLS extended community.
8. Establish a sustainable retention rate leading to a more stable student community.
Please visit our website for a full description of this opportunity: www.thelittleschool.org
Please submit cover letter, resume and supporting materials digitally to Terry Macaluso at email@example.com.
1. Explain in your cover letter why you are interested in this particular school. Include a good time and phone number when you can be reached to speak about your interest in The Little School.
2. Provide a statement of your vision of progressive education and its role in today’s education climate.
3. Include your most recent employer as one of your four references; note title, telephone and e-mail address for each reference.
4. Indicate whether your candidacy is confidential.
Contact Terry Macaluso with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: September 28, 2018
Semi-finalist Interviews: Saturday, October 6, 2018
Finalist Interviews: October 8-9, 10-11, 15-16, 17-18
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com