Website The Little School
The mission of The Little School is to keep alive each child’s natural curiosity and enthusiasm for learning, to support balanced social and academic skill development, and to foster community minded, compassionate and intrinsically motivated students.
We imagine a world where education inspires children to develop a strong sense of self and the courage to become innovative and empathetic leaders.
It is our strong desire to build a diverse community of students, families, and staff. The Little School does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity or family composition in the administration of its admissions, financial aid, hiring or any other school-administered programs.
Description: The Little School has an Environmental Ed teaching position open beginning in August of 2018. The campus itself is a beautiful classroom. It is a place for active hands-on learning, ready to be observed, explored, understood and cared for. The long-term intent for this position is to create a program that distinguishes this school from all other early childhood and elementary schools. This position is an exciting opportunity for an educator committed to progressive education ideals and practices. The Little School serves approximately 160 children ages 3-11 on a 12+ acre wooded campus in Bellevue filled with inspiring child-centered learning spaces in and outside. We are seeking candidates who understand and appreciate the power of childhood and the possibilities of children as unique individuals learning in a social context. We are seeking candidates with vision, boundless energy and optimism. We hire teachers committed to collaborative teaching within a vibrant adult learning community.
The goal is to develop and deliver an Environmental Education Program that attends to these principles:
*Support children building an understanding, appreciation and stewardship of The Little School campus as part of the Puget Sound Ecosystem *Guide native habitat and forest restoration work
*Develop Scope and Sequence from Preschool to 5TH Grade
*Support integration of classroom curriculum, planned and emergent
*Support signature activities and fieldtrips at different levels that enhance the understanding of this ecosystem- possibilities include salmon, gardens, bees *Inquiry and Exploratory Based: children should be asking good questions and searching for plausible answers
*Provide integrated experiences within the disciplines of Science
*Integrate with classroom work and other specialists especially Art (STEAM)
· Elementary or early childhood teaching experience- 5 years preferred
· Environmental Education degree
· Knowledge of Pacific Northwest ecosystems: plants and animal ecology
Strong candidates must have the following professional and personal attributes and commitments:
· An excitement for teaching and learning alongside young children
· An appreciation for the complexity and uniqueness of children’s developmental timetables
· A commitment to collaboration and building partnerships with children, colleagues and families
· A sense of humor and a love of the life of school
· The ability to work hard and have fun simultaneously
· Strong verbal, written, planning, organizational and relational skills
· The ability to learn from direct and honest feedback
· Creativity, intellectual agility and initiative
· A willingness to pitch in when/where needed
· Understanding of and commitment to progressive education ideals and practices, democratic values, equity, inclusion and social justice
· Excitement for teaching full days outdoors.
Compensation includes competitive salary, health, vision, dental and retirement benefits, tuition remission and a chance to work with great kids and colleagues.
Important resources to get to know The Little School include:
This is an amazing opportunity for the right candidate looking to build a stand out environmental education program for young children. We welcome your interest.
Please Submit the following to email@example.com by May 4, 2018:
· Letter of interest
· Three references
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org