Website Park Day School
Helping children understand their own power to make + change
Park Day School Mission
At Park Day School, dedicated teachers and engaged students collaborate to create a dynamic and joyful learning community for mastering academic and interpersonal skills. Students construct meaning and deep understanding through inquiry and discovery-based teaching. Our practices promote critical and creative thinking, artistic expression, and a commitment to diversity and social justice. In the spirit of partnership and service, students expand their perspectives through participation in the broader community. Continuing the legacy of the progressive education movement, Park Day School prepares students to be informed, courageous, and compassionate people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world.
About Park Day School
At Park Day School, expert teachers and dedicated staff are committed to the enterprise of providing a place where students learn deeply, think creatively, act compassionately, and live fully. Founded in 1976, Park Day offers an outstanding co-educational K-8 program to over 300 students. The school community embraces the ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity of Oakland. The school is rooted in the tenets of progressive education and reinforces 21st Century learning. Our student-centered approach cultivates deep thinkers and compassionate and courageous people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world. Park Day is a leader in public purpose initiatives; our community outreach program collaborates with public schools and community groups to create meaningful service-learning opportunities for our students.
Located in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, the school is situated on a four-acre campus that has been described as “glorious” and “a jewel” with trees, gardens, and quiet niches as well as outdoor play and athletic facilities; it is a campus for all ages. Park Day has become a leader in developing innovative educational connections between campus and classroom, including our living labs, specialized learning gardens, nature zone, chicken coop, and edible gardens.
We are seeking an experienced, talented, and energetic Middle School Physical Education teacher for the 2021-2022 school year. This position reports to the Head of Middle School and collaborates with the Lower School PE teacher, athletic director, and the Director of Auxiliary Programming on curriculum, instruction, and class management matters. The MS PE teacher is responsible for curriculum development and implementation of Middle School Physical Education Program (Grades 6 – 8). The program highlights fitness, wellness, athletic skill-building, and sportsmanship. Students are exposed to traditional and non-traditional sports and athletic activities, in addition to team-building challenges and cooperative games. We seek a vibrant teacher who brings creativity, innovation, and a social justice lens to their teaching practice.
● Have at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; academic program focus in Kinesiology and/or education-related fields preferred.
● Have at least two years of teaching and coaching experience, preferably at the middle school level.
● Have excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
● Must be able to work collaboratively as a team member with teachers
● Have a working understanding of progressive teaching practices, social-emotional learning, and cultural competency.
● Be able to successfully instruct and differentiate for students at different ability levels and with multiple intelligences.
● Have a nurturing and supportive tone with students, and establish and maintain a healthy and mutually respectful learning environment.
● Infuse lessons with energy and joy, inspire a passion for learning, and anchor curriculum in meaningful contexts for deep understanding.
● Communicate effectively with staff and parents.
● Background Check and CPR/First Aid certified
● Teaching credential, coaching education program (PCA) and/or master’s degree preferred
Salary and benefits are competitive and will be based on qualifications and experience. PDS is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Complete job application and attach cover letter and resume here https://form.jotform.com/90749053101147
Park Day School actively seeks to build a diverse student, staff and parent/guardian community. We are an avid equal opportunity employer and seek applicants who reflect the rich diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, faith or veteran status. PDS is an EEO employer and follows all applicable employment laws.
To apply for this job please visit form.jotform.com.