A Private Independent School Inspiring Children Ages 3 - Grade 8
POSITION: Maintenance Technician
REPORTS TO: Facilities Manager
DATE: August 24, 2022
Provides construction, maintenance, and repair services to the school’s buildings. Provides for the care of the Orchard grounds, including courtyards, playgrounds, athletic fields, landscaping, woods, cabin area, outdoor restroom and concession building, Headmaster’s house, contiguous rental properties, parking lots, sidewalks, fencing, and lawns. Assists with event set-up, takedown, and cleanup as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides maintenance and repair to the HVAC, plumbing, electrical, lighting, and mechanical systems.
· Provides preventative maintenance services, such as changing light bulbs, air filters, and ceiling tiles.
· Provides snow removal and salting services, as required by weather conditions. Ensures that sidewalks and entrances to the building are kept free of snow and ice.
· Provides regular and routine maintenance to the playgrounds, equipment, and athletic fields. Prepares athletic fields for fall and spring sports.
· Provides regular grounds care to the athletic fields, including striping fields, some lawn care, infield dragging and raking, bases and goals arrangement, and coordination with athletic field vendor services, as needed and requested by the Athletic Director.
· Maintains maintenance equipment and tools in safe operating order.
· Provides assistance relative to arranging for events at the school, such as pageants, graduation, or assemblies.
· Provides assistance to the Outdoor Education teaching function relative to maintenance of the woods and paths, the cabin area, outdoor education shelters, and events in and around the aforementioned areas. Distributes mulch as needed. Also provides teaching support for special functions and activities.
· Places grounds keeping chemicals and other additives in a safe and locked environment, as required by state or local code. Safeguards Orchard’s equipment and fuel supplies.
· Provides service for various events conducted in and around the school, including setting up tables and chairs, transporting food and drink from the kitchen to the event at the direction of the caterer, tearing down equipment and cleaning up immediately following the event.
· Empties outdoor trash receptacles regularly.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
· Provides safety and security measures for students, staff, and visitors relative to conditions within the building.
· Meets, greets, and provides prompt and friendly customer service to parents and visitors, as required.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Talking, listening, and vision
· Mobility to roam 155,000 square foot building and hand dexterity to utilize various maintenance tools
· Accessing file cabinets, printers, and copiers
· Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Working knowledge of software e-mail systems and ability to utilize Orchard’s computers
· Must protect confidential information and establish credibility
· Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to get along with diverse personalities, must exhibit tact, and be able to exhibit flexible behavior
· Judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, procedures, regulation or governmental law while recognizing and supporting the organization’s preferences and priorities
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations to management
· Working knowledge of current grounds information and ability to acquire needed certifications
· At least two years of experience in providing maintenance services in a similarly sized and institutional building.
· Must be able to travel in and out of town from time to time for training and education.
· Must possess a valid and current Indiana driver’s license, to utilize Orchard School vehicles on a frequent basis.
· Must be able to read and understand such things as curriculums, purchase orders, instructions, weekly calendars, policies, and schedules, written in English.
Candidates should apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place “Maintenance” in the email subject line.
Orchard values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Orchard does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin in the administration of its admission, tuition assistance, or employment determination.
The Orchard School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States.
For more information about The Orchard School, please visit: www.orchard.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org