Website Lowell School
Middle School Science Teacher and Advisor
Lowell School, a progressive school of approximately 340 students in NW Washington, DC, is looking for a Middle School science teacher.
Overview of Position
Lowell seeks a full time Middle School science teacher to teach geoscience, life science, and physical science and to support the progressive integration of STEAM and Outdoor Science Education content and skills. The Middle School science teacher collaborates with other science teachers to plan and implement a hands-on curriculum for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade classes. In addition, the Middle School science teacher is part of the grade-level STEAM and Outdoor Science Education teams. Each team seeks out opportunities for collaboration and works with grade level teachers of other disciplines on integrated projects that combine aspects of science, technology, engineering, art, and math. The Middle School science teacher also serves as an advisor for a group of Middle School students.
Successful Lowell teachers are lifelong learners who are reflective about their practice; find ways to bring ‘real life’ into their classrooms, including current events, the neighborhood and the city; and seek out professional development and leadership opportunities.
● Candidates should be experienced teaching science, including strong skills in teaching a design process of ideation, experimentation, analysis, and iteration. A degree in education with a focus on science and at least three years of successful experience as a teacher are preferred, but alternate pathways into the profession will be considered.
● Candidates’ pedagogy should be student-centered, and candidates should be comfortable differentiating instruction or Universal Design Learning.
● A commitment to social justice and equity, cultural competence, the ability to work collaboratively, excellent communication skills, and a willingness to work closely with families are essential.
● Experience with curriculum development and curriculum integration, varied assessment strategies, and constructivist teaching/learning approaches preferred.
● Candidates should enjoy middle schoolers. We seek someone with a ready sense of humor and a collaborative spirit who can inspire students and teachers, be inspired by our mission, and create a dynamic classroom with high educational expectations.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send a cover letter, résumé, and three references to Kavan Yee, director of Middle School, at e email@example.com. Letters of reference are highly encouraged.
Lowell School has a longstanding institutional commitment to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusivity. Lowell prohibits any discrimination or harassment based on a person’s race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, past or present military service, or any other ground prohibited by federal, District of Columbia, or other applicable law. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, termination, pay, and the work environment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org