Website The Waverly School
SoCal Progressive Educational School, preschool - 12th grade
The Waverly School seeks a part-time Elementary School Counselor (preschool – grade 6) to start immediately. The School Counselor is a vital member of the Health and Wellness Team and will report to the Head of School. This newly added role will support the overall social emotional health of the elementary school students. Focusing on student well-being, the Counselor will identify and respond to student psychological and emotional challenges through short term counseling, crisis intervention and program development.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and effective clinician with demonstrated expertise in social-emotional wellness and the ability to support elementary age students. The successful candidate will present a positive, flexible, and helpful attitude, be a skilled communicator with a demonstrated history of impeccable judgment, discipline, and collegiality in managing complicated situations with varied constituencies and demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively and systemically with all teachers, students, families and external organizations. Excellent communication (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) skills. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build trust and maintain the highest level of professionalism and commitment to confidentiality are essential to successfully playing this role.
This is a part-time, 10-month/year position. Ideal schedule is 11:00am-3:00pm, Monday-Friday.
● Provide appropriate short-term crisis management and support in one-one-one and small groups, helping students to develop coping strategies, resiliency, and communication skills
● Maintain appropriate boundaries and confidentiality
● Maintain meticulous related notes and records
● Maintain ongoing communication with the head of school and elementary school director to identify patterns of behavior that may suggest the need for counseling and/or support.
● Collaborate with our Upper School Counselor & Learning Specialist
● Consult with and advise families, nursing staff, school administration, and faculty, as appropriate to develop routine care plans and develop a plan of action for students in need of further support
● Serve as a competent resource to students and their families in need of community-based services, including psychiatric care, mental health evaluations, and specialized treatment
● Meet regularly with elementary school director
● Work collaboratively with the Elementary School faculty to develop and deliver a highly effective human development program
● Lead student groups focused on social skills, emotional regulation skills, self- regulation and self-awareness skills
● Actively participate in the life of the school
● Other duties as assigned
● Masters or Ph.D in social work, counseling or related field
● Licensure in marriage and family therapy, clinical psychology or clinical social work (LCSW, LMFT, PPSC)
● Current certification to practice in the state of California
● Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships
● Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with students and families
● Demonstrated commitment to culturally competent practice, serving the needs of a diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact
● 3-4 years of post-masters work with adolescents and families in a clinical setting
● No prior experience or relationships with members of the Waverly School community
● Fluency in Spanish or Mandarin
● Initial and continued employment background investigation required – fingerprints via Live Scan
● Initial and continued TB Assessment required for employment in CA schools
Physical Demands and Abilities:
● Work in person, on campus
● Work with frequent interruptions
● Maintain emotional control under stress
● Regularly spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers.
● Must be able to stand, lift, push, pull, stoop and bend for short periods of time.
● Regularly work on repetitive tasks.
● Frequently bend to file and maintain files.
● Occasionally lift 10-20 pounds.
Interested candidates should submit their letter of interest and resume to Vella Cagle, HR Manager: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org