Website PS1 Pluralistic School
Celebrate the Many; Build One.
Position: Director of Finance and Operations
Beginning Immediately (negotiable)*
PS1 Pluralistic School is a small (220 students) independent, nonprofit, pluralistic elementary school (K-6th) established in 1971. We value diversity and believe that students thrive with a wide variety of learning experiences. Because children learn at different rates at different times and in different ways, we are a non-graded school with a two year age range in each classroom. We offer children a strong academic curriculum made relevant to their life experiences and seek to develop the whole child by striking a balance between academic and social skills. Check out our website at www.psone.org to grasp the flavor, spirit, intentionality, vision, and mission of the school. PS1 is an equal opportunity employer.
With close to fifty years of experience in educating children in a progressive, urban environment, PS1 Pluralistic School (PS1) is seeking only its fourth Director of Finance and Operations to join our dedicated school community. A senior administrative position, the Director of Finance and Operations works closely and collaboratively with the Head of School, leadership team, administrators, campus support staff, Board of Directors and faculty.
· Serves as the school’s Chief Financial Officer and works with the Head as the principal decision makers for the school’s financial affairs.
· Serves as a member of the senior administrative team and works directly with the Head of School to initiate, implement and oversee the day-to-day operations, programs and activities of the School.
· Ensures the maintenance of ethical and legal standards in fiscal and business operations and regulations in areas of assigned responsibility.
· Demonstrates the skills to work as part of a team by being service-oriented, flexible, and reliable when helping co-workers accomplish their jobs/tasks at hand.
· Possesses strong work ethic; must be quick and efficient with accounting functions and be willing to roll up one’s sleeves to get work done within and outside regular business hours as necessary.
· Exhibits common sense & professional decorum as part of regular interaction with Directors, parents, faculty, administrators, and business partners.
· Assists the Head of School and the Board of Directors in long-range strategic and financial planning.
· Serves as the primary supervisor for the Business Office Assistant, Director of Technology and Director of Facilities.
· Implements and maintains appropriate personnel policies.
· Provides support to employees as the Head of HR in areas of policies and benefits.
· Oversees payroll and benefits programs including health insurance and retirement programs.
· Ensures all programs are following federal and state and local laws and regulations.
· Prepares financial forecasts and budgets, and maintains accurate financial records.
· Maintains an effective and efficient system of internal management controls throughout the school.
· Addresses issues resulting from independent financial audits and internal management audits.
· Supports committees and reviews policies of the Board of Directors as directed by the Head of School, most specifically the Board’s Administration and Finance Committee (A and F).
· In coordination with the Head of School and A and F Committee, establishes and maintains relationships with banks and other financial institutions.
· Performs funds management and investments with the guidance of the Board of Directors.
· Prepares and coordinates financial analyses, cost studies, plans, audits, and other information for use by the Head of School, Board of Directors, and operating management as needed.
· Serves as the primary liaison to the School’s Financial Aid Committee.
· Oversees buildings and grounds contracts for service, housekeeping, insurance, repair, and regulatory compliance in those areas.
· Works with Program Administrator to develop and implement all aspects of safety drills and emergency preparedness on an ongoing basis.
· Performs all accounting functions of the school.
• Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, Master’s degree preferred; minimum of five years’ experience in the areas of financial and business administration as described in job description (covering independent school, banking, mission-oriented corporate, and/or not for profit organizations).
• Possesses strong interpersonal skills for use in problem resolution and employee guidance.
• Understands, updates, and enforces general human resources policies and procedures as well as California employment and labor law.
• Communicates effectively with school representatives, parents, students, and representatives from the business community.
• Communicates clearly and efficiently in written and oral expression.
• Demonstrates knowledge of business accounting policies, procedures, practices and software programs, (Proficient in use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint and Financial and Accounting systems software; Proficiency in Sage financial software is a plus)
• Demonstrates expertise in financial management, accounting, budgeting, controls, interim reporting, and auditing, as well as risk and investment management.
• Is skilled at thinking and planning strategically and creatively.
• Demonstrates expertise in supervising and managing multiple functions and activities.
• Maintains confidentiality in a relational community with a high-touch culture.
Salary and Hours
The Director of Finance and Operations is a full-time and year-round Senior Administrative position. The salary and benefits package is competitive.
*The current retiring DFO will be available on a part-time basis for training in PS1 systems.
Apply online at www.psone.org/about/employment
Direct inquiries to email@example.com
PS1 Pluralistic School
1225 Broadway Santa Monica, CA 90404
www.psone.org 310-394-1313 FAX 310-395-1093
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org